Feb 11 2023
Saturday

RAC Arena, Perth, Western Australia

5 rounds contest
@ Lightweight
23-1-0

Walks out:

TBA ()

broadcast start time:

US - N/A / UK - N/A

25-1-0

Contest odds

Makhachev 7/25 (-360)
Volkanovski 11/4 (+280)

Chance of winning

74.55% 25.45%

The tape

31
Age
34
5' 10" / 178 cm
Height
5' 6" / 168 cm
70.5" / 179 cm
Reach
71.7" / 182 cm
Orthodox (R)
Stance
Orthodox (R)

Full record

SUB 2KO 1SUB 1SUB 4SUB 3
Form
UD 5KO 4UD 5SD 5UD 5
23
Wins
25
4
By KO
12
17
KO%
48
1
Losses
1
1
Stopped
1
0
Draws
0
2010
Debut
2012
48
Pro rounds
71

Current rankings @ Lightweight

-
-
-
FOX
-
-
Fox Sports 1
-
-
FX
-
-
Fox Sports 2
-

UFC 284 betting preview

Bookmakers made Islam Makhachev a strong favourite against Alexander Volkanovski when they square off in their contest on Saturday 11th February 2023 at UFC 284.

He is currently 7/25 (-360) to win the contest outright, while you can get 11/4 (+280) on Alexander Volkanovski if you fancy the upset.

That means that oddsmakers think there is 75% chance of Makhachev winning while giving Volkanovski a 25% chance.

Makhachev opened as the favourite at 2/7 (-340).

Volkanovski opened at 5/2 (+250) which has shorten by 5/-4 (+80).

The fight is scheduled for 5 rounds in the Lightweight division, which means both fighters will have to make the weight limit of 155 pounds (10.85 stones or 70.45 KG) on the day of the weigh-in.

This contest is for the UFC lightweight championship.

Full UFC 284 Odds

Main Events

Islam Makhachev is currently 7/25 (-360) to beat Alexander Volkanovski, while Volkanovski is currently 11/4 (+280) to win if you fancy the upset.

Yair Rodriguez is made a favourite at 3/5 (-170) to come out the victor in a fight against Josh Emmett, while Emmett is currently 13/10 (+130) to win if you fancy the small upset.

Main Card

Justin Tafa sits at 4/6 (-150) to win against Parker Porter, while Porter is currently 6/5 (+120) to win if you fancy the small upset.

Jimmy Crute is marked at 4/9 (-230) to be victorious against Alonzo Menifield, while Menifield is currently 13/8 (+160) to win if you fancy the small upset.

Jack Della Maddalena is currently 2/7 (-340) to defeat Randy Brown, while Brown is currently 13/5 (+260) to win if you fancy the upset.

Prelims

Jack Jenkins is made a favourite at 1/5 (-500) to beat Don Shainis, while Shainis is currently 10/3 (+330) to win if you fancy the big upset.

Melsik Baghdasaryan sits at 4/6 (-150) to come out the victor in a fight against Joshua Culibao, while Culibao is currently 11/10 (+110) to win if you fancy the small upset.

Kleydson Rodrigues is marked at 2/5 (-250) to win against Shannon Ross, while Ross is currently 7/4 (+180) to win if you fancy the upset.

Loma Lookboonmee is currently 1/3 (-300) to be victorious against Elise Reed, while Reed is currently 9/4 (+230) to win if you fancy the upset.

Shane Young is made a favourite at 5/6 (-120) to defeat Blake Bilder, while Bilder is currently 5/6 (-120) to win if you fancy the incredible upset.

Jamie Mullarkey sits at 4/9 (-230) to beat Francisco Prado, while Prado is currently 13/8 (+160) to win if you fancy the small upset.

Zubaira Tukhugov is marked at 1/6 (-590) to come out the victor in a fight against Elves Brenner, while Brenner is currently 7/2 (+350) to win if you fancy the big upset.

Makhachev vs Volkanovski Head To Head

Islam Makhachev steps into the octagon with a record of 23 wins, 1 loss and 0 draws, 4 of those wins coming by the way of knock out and 11 by submission.

Alexander Volkanovski will make his way to the cage with a record of 25 wins, 1 loss and 0 draws, with 12 of those wins by knock out and 3 by submission.

The stats suggest Volkanovski has a massive power advantage over Makhachev, boosting at 48% knock out percentage over Makhachev's 17%.

Islam Makhachev is the younger man by 3 years, at 31 years old.

Makhachev has a height advantage of 4 inches over Volkanovski. Despite this, Volkanovski has 2-inch reach advantage.

Makhachev is arguably the less experienced fighter, having had 2 fewer fights, and made his debut in 2010, 1 year and 9 months earlier than Volkanovski, whose first professional fight was in 2012. He has fought 23 less professional rounds, 48 to Volkanovski's 71.

Makhachev vs Volkanovski betting form

Makhachev has won 5 of his most recent fights, stopping 1 of them, going to the judges 4 times.

In his last fight, he defeated Charles Oliveira at UFC 280 on 22nd October 2022 by in the 2nd round in their UFC Lightweight championship fight at Etihad Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Previous to that, he had defeated Bobby Green at UFC Fight Night on 26th February 2022 by knockout in the 1st round at UFC APEX, Las Vegas, United States.

Going into that contest, he had beat Dan Hooker at UFC 267 on 30th October 2021 by knockout in the 1st round.

Before that, he had won against Thiago Moises at UFC Vegas 31 on 17th July 2021 by knockout in the 4th round at UFC APEX, Las Vegas, United States.

He had beat Drew Dober at UFC 259 on 6th March 2021 by knockout in the 3rd round at UFC APEX, Las Vegas.

Volkanovski has won 5 of his most recent fights, stopping 1 of them, going the distance 4 times.

In his last fight, he defeated Max Holloway at UFC 276 on 2nd July 2022 by unanimous decision in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, United States.

Previous to that, he had defeated Chan Sung Jung at UFC 273 on 9th April 2022 by knockout in the 4th round in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville.

Going into that contest, he had won against Brian Ortega at UFC 266 on 25th September 2021 by unanimous decision in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas.

Before that, he had defeated Max Holloway at UFC 251 on 11th July 2020 by split decision in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at UFC Fight Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

He had beat Max Holloway at UFC 245 on 14th December 2019 by unanimous decision in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, United States.

Who's been more active?

In terms of recent activity, Islam Makhachev has been fighting more than Alexander Volkanovski.

Islam Makhachev last fought 3 months and 4 days ago, while Alexander Volkanovski's last outing was 6 months and 24 days ago.

Makhachev's last 5 fights have come over a period of 1 year, 10 months and 20 days, meaning he has been fighting on average every 4 months and 18 days. In those fights, he fought a total of 11 rounds, meaning that they have lasted 2.2 rounds on average.

Volkanovski's last 5 fights have come over a period of 3 years, 1 month and 12 days, meaning he has been fighting on average every 7 months and 15 days. In those fights, he fought a total of 24 rounds, meaning that they have lasted 4.8 rounds on average.

Makhachev vs Volkanovski Odds History

All Betting Markets

All UFC 284 odds

UFC 284 Odds
Fight Fight Date Fighter 1 Fighter 1 Winning Odds Fighter 2 Fighter 2 Winning Odds
Makhachev vs VolkanovskiSaturday, 11 February 2023Islam Makhachev7/25(-360)Alexander Volkanovski11/4(+280)
Rodriguez vs EmmettSaturday, 11 February 2023Yair Rodriguez3/5(-170)Josh Emmett13/10(+130)
Tafa vs PorterSaturday, 11 February 2023Justin Tafa4/6(-150)Parker Porter6/5(+120)
Crute vs MenifieldSaturday, 11 February 2023Jimmy Crute4/9(-230)Alonzo Menifield13/8(+160)
Brown vs MaddalenaSaturday, 11 February 2023Randy Brown13/5(+260)Jack Della Maddalena2/7(-340)