T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, United States
broadcast start time:
US - N/A / UK - N/A
Chance of winning
UFC 290 betting preview
Bookmakers made Alexander Volkanovski a big favourite against Yair Rodriguez when they meet in their bout on Saturday 8th July 2023 at UFC 290.
He is currently 1/5 (-500) to win the bout outright, while you can get 33/10 (+330) on Yair Rodriguez if you fancy the big upset.
That means that oddsmakers think there is 79% chance of Volkanovski winning while giving Rodriguez a 21% chance.
Volkanovski opened as the favourite at 1/5 (-500).
Rodriguez opened at 7/2 (+350) which has got wider by -4/5 (+130).
The fight is scheduled for 5 rounds in the Featherweight division, which means both fighters will have to make the weight limit of 145 pounds (10.15 stones or 65.91 KG) on the day of the weigh-in.
This contest is for the UFC featherweight championship.
Full UFC 290 Odds
Alexander Volkanovski is currently 1/5 (-500) to beat Yair Rodriguez, while Rodriguez is currently 33/10 (+330) to win if you fancy the big upset.
Jalin Turner is made a favourite at 8/15 (-190) to come out the victor in a fight against Dan Hooker, while Hooker is currently 6/4 (+150) to win if you fancy the small upset.
Volkanovski vs Rodriguez Head To Head
Alexander Volkanovski steps into the octagon with a record of 25 wins, 2 loses and 0 draws, 12 of those wins coming by the way of knock out and 3 by submission.
Yair Rodriguez will make his way to the cage with a record of 15 wins, 3 loses and 0 draws, with 5 of those wins by knock out and 4 by submission.
The stats suggest Volkanovski has an advantage in power over Rodriguez, with a 48% knock out percentage over Rodriguez's 33%.
Alexander Volkanovski is the older man by 4 years, at 34 years old.
Rodriguez has a height advantage of 5 inches over Volkanovski. Despite this, he has 1-inch reach advantage.
Volkanovski is the more experienced professional fighter, having had 9 more fights, and made his debut in 2012, 7 months later than Rodriguez, whose first professional fight was in 2011. He has fought 29 more professional rounds, 76 to Rodriguez's 47.
Volkanovski vs Rodriguez betting form
Volkanovski has beaten 4 of his last 5 opponents, stopping 1 of them, going to the judges 3 times.
In his last fight, he lost to Islam Makhachev at UFC 284 on 11th February 2023 by unanimous decision in their UFC Lightweight championship fight at RAC Arena, Perth, Western Australia.
Previous to that, he had won against Max Holloway at UFC 276 on 2nd July 2022 by unanimous decision in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, United States.
Going into that contest, he had beat Chan Sung Jung at UFC 273 on 9th April 2022 by knockout in the 4th round in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville.
Before that, he had defeated Brian Ortega at UFC 266 on 25th September 2021 by unanimous decision in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas.
He had won against Max Holloway at UFC 251 on 11th July 2020 by split decision in their UFC Featherweight championship fight at UFC Fight Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Rodriguez has beaten 3 of his last 5 opponents, stopping 1 of them, going the distance twice.
In his last fight, he defeated Josh Emmett at UFC 284 on 11th February 2023 by submission in the 2nd round in their UFC Interim Featherweight championship fight at RAC Arena, Perth, Western Australia.
Previous to that, he had defeated Brian Ortega at UFC Fight Night: Ortega vs. Rodriguez on 16th July 2022 by knockout in the 1st round at UBS Arena, Long Island, New York, United States.
Going into that contest, he had been beaten by Max Holloway at UFC Vegas 42 on 13th November 2021 by unanimous decision in their 5 round contest at UFC APEX, Las Vegas.
Before that, he had beat Jeremy Stephens at UFC on ESPN 6 on 18th October 2019 by unanimous decision in their 3 round contest at TD Garden, Boston.
He had beat Jeremy Stephens at UFC on ESPN+ 17 on 21st September 2019 by unanimous decision in the 1st round at Arena Ciudad de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico.
Who's been more active?
In terms of recent activity, Alexander Volkanovski has been fighting more than Yair Rodriguez.
Alexander Volkanovski last fought 3 months and 26 days ago, while Yair Rodriguez's last outing was 3 months and 26 days ago.
Volkanovski's last 5 fights have come over a period of 2 years, 10 months and 26 days, meaning he has been fighting on average every 7 months. In those fights, he fought a total of 24 rounds, meaning that they have lasted 4.8 rounds on average.
Rodriguez's last 5 fights have come over a period of 3 years, 8 months and 16 days, meaning he has been fighting on average every 8 months and 27 days. In those fights, he fought a total of 12 rounds, meaning that they have lasted 2.4 rounds on average.
Volkanovski vs Rodriguez Odds History
All Betting Markets
All UFC 290 odds
|Fight||Fight Date||Fighter 1||Fighter 1 Winning Odds||Fighter 2||Fighter 2 Winning Odds|
|Volkanovski vs Rodriguez||Saturday, 8 July 2023||Alexander Volkanovski||1/5(-500)||Yair Rodriguez||33/10(+330)|
|Hooker vs Turner||Saturday, 8 July 2023||Dan Hooker||6/4(+150)||Jalin Turner||8/15(-190)|